Tomorrow is my aunt’s funeral. I’m officiating, and I’m still up late the night before trying to figure out what to say. I have PLENTY of great things to say, and the best part is that I don’t have to embellish any of it. There are lots of cheesy Christian t-shirts and stickers that say things like, “Live a good life so the preacher doesn’t have to lie at your funeral“. I’m happy to say that I won’t be lying tomorrow.
Only a few people in my family share my faith and belief in God, so I will be primarily focusing on celebrating and remembering my aunt’s life.
Some things I’ll mention:
- She loved all of us unconditionally and consistently.
- She was selfless towards us in a selfish world.
- She made each one of us feel like we were her favorite.
- I’ll always remember her smile and voice.
- We are a very diverse family, but we were united by her love.
- Her husband, my uncle Dale, is the best man I’ve ever known. We can celebrate her life today in large part because we know that she was loved so well.